Tuesday 6 January 2009

Fartlek

HB to CB (6m), 1h 04m.

You are supposed to have a training plan when you attempt a marathon. So far, I have just been running as much as I can for as long as a can. But to do it properly you are supposed to do hill training and vary the terrain you run on, and speed training. My energy and enthusiasm to get out on the road is not waning but I cannot be bothered to sit down and think about it. 

I have, however, read a 1970s running bible by legendary long distance runner Bruce Tulloh, (on loan to me from another legend, one-eyed "Rocket" Ron of Falmouth Road Runners!) He advocates drinking plenty of beer to rehydrate you after a run, and using deep heat: "I like to head off to the start with muscles pleasantly tingling from an application of Deep Heat type liniment." Bless. 

He is also a fan of Fartlek training. This is when you sprint whenever you feel like it, and there are no hazards in the way (children on scooters are my favourite hazard), this is good for endurance. I figure endurance might be important when attempting 26 miles so I try this out tonight. You are supposed to get your heart rate up to well over twice what it is at rest. Seems a bit dangerous, but it's a massive buzz!

My house key in my back pocket was rubbing my cold bum, but apart from that, good run!


No comments:

Post a Comment