Tuesday 31 March 2009

My last long run...until the reeeeeeeeeelly long one..

Twickenham Bridge to Putney Bridge, 17.46m, 2 hrs 37m 23s

This was zen-like running, a beautiful, calm, LIGHT (at last!) evening, where my knees behaved, posture was easy, Helly socks were ace, my earphones stayed in my ears and snot stayed in my nasal passage. Even fat/with child/with dog/oblivious with mobile pedestrians seemed to get out of my way (did my charity vest command more respect than the smelly tshirts of previous months?). I thought back to starting my training, in the dark and cold, how angry I used to get while pounding the streets, and it felt so unfamiliar today. Today it felt EASY! 17.4 miles of comfort! Wow!

There were a few niggles- my back ached towards the end, maybe from holding a water bottle mainly in my right hand and consequently twisting, and I am giving up on lucozade gels, they seem harder to digest that the apple and cinnamon flan that was saturday's failed training fuel. Plus the latest dilemma to preoccupy me: is 26.2 miles in a thong a good idea? Or should I be resigned to wasting a few kilojoules of energy on underwear-realignment on the big day?

I went to a Putney pub to refill my water bottle and was offered 'Fosters?', if I'd had money on me and he'd had Amstel on tap I might have been tempted...




No comments:

Post a Comment