Monday 23 March 2009

smile though your heart is aching

HB-PB, 8m, 1h 14m 59s

I was nervous about this one- I hadn't run properly since Cornwall. I returned from the mountains mercifully uninjured, only having inflicted artistic bruises on the rest of the group. My own wounds stopped at a strangely creaky right thumb and a sun blister on my lip. Neither excuses for poor running. Still, my first run in over 2 weeks started off quite hard,I had familiar aching in my right knee and I worried about having indulged myself with a holiday so close to the marathon. But after about 3 miles, I settled into it. 

This seems to be a pattern, as soon as I distract myself from checking for discomfort, I am much more comfortable! I read about consciously relaxing muscles that tend to, but needn't, be engaged when long distance running, like frowning. Energy efficient running, I will try to smile! 

No comments:

Post a Comment