Saturday 28 March 2009

Speed Training 2

Too many people have pledged to double their sponsorship if I clock a sub 4 hr marathon. 

The words roll off the tongue, they are familiar, as I currently dedicate every 'stuck in front of a computer with nothing better to do moment' to Running Forums (overtaking previous obsessions on Genes Reunited, Ebay and the obligatory Facebook). The reality check on this challenge tells me I have a need for speed in my training plan if I have any hope of grabbing the extra cash. 

With 4 weeks to go, and a better late than never attitude, I grab 30 minutes break in the rain and set off to Ravenscourt Park for my first Interval Training.

This means running asap ('s' for speedily) for a kilometre, and then recovering for a minute before doing it again. 4 times. 

So, not really having mastered the nutrition bit of my program, I wolfed down an apple and cinnamon flan for energy and set off. It was really tasty, gooey, my indulgent second piece of the day. It lingered on my fingers and by the time I was jogging through Acton Green's temporary fairground, the combo of apple, cinammon and ripe candyfloss was nearly fruitful.

Made it to Ravenscourt Park, flan still in belly, and tried to sprint.

I am not sure of the precise definition of the verb 'to sprint', but I managed at least 10 paces very fast, another few paces quite fast, and then a fairly fast spurt at the end of each lap, with the 5 aside football pen-my finishing point- in sight (and a consistent cry of something about a 'Cheese Grater' coming from the west london youths in it?). I managed 3 laps before I thought I might die.

I much prefer plodding. But, in the same way as 20 miles in adversity (gales/hail etc) has given me the confidence that I can do 26.2 miles of flat, hopefully kinder weather. If I can 'sprint' for 10 paces laden with sugary fruit, I hope the next speed sesh will be a bit easier...

Lap 1: 5m 08s (2m int)
Lap 2: 5m 17s (1m 10s int)
Lap 3: 5m 24s (stagger home)

No comments:

Post a Comment