Tuesday 27 January 2009

vanity strikes

To Richmond Lock (9.91m), 1h 27m 32s

Wasn't keen at all tonight. Spent the whole sunny day indoors sporting my running kit with hopeful intention. Finally ventured out at 4.45pm to subject my poor rosacea stricken skin to the cold night. The pigment of my face belongs to a middle-aged farmer’s wife who has spent all her adult life weather beaten, chasing bulls around the Scottish highlands.

I also gave into the pressure and got a bit vain, I’m ashamed to write it, but I actually put on make up to jog in! I happened to catch myself in the mirror, vpl glorious in lycra tights and greasy hair from 3 whole days without washing, and I couldn’t bear to go out and make my skin even redder and my hair even more mank, so on went the slap to compensate.

Still it seemed to work, I got a wolf whistle, and I ran 10 miles. In the dark! (dig for the logic in that.) It was a bit scary, on a new route in little light. I had to really concentrate on the undulating ground and got all dizzy. I got dull brown blindness. It was like the seconds of grey fuzz during laser eye surgery when they cut the flap, but it went on for longer and the happy ending was the tower blocks of Brentford rather than perfect un-aided vision.

I got stitch for the first time too. Ran through it and eventually, after a good 45 minutes, it went away. Toe aching too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment