Sunday 8 February 2009

Nackered

To PB and back to Syon House, 14.96m!!!!! 2h 15minutes..

Am trying to keep to some type of Runner's World recommended schedule for clocking in a time of sub 3.45, which means I can do the marathon for free next year, it's a pipe dream, but it's good to have a focus so what the hell...

And Hell it was! I needed to do 14 miles today and prepared by not drinking too much the night before, but I had been tottering in high heels and my feet were sore, and I was tired before I even started. 

It was an angry run. Snot was back in full flow- I went through stores of tissue, the complete circumference of my sleeve and both gloves. Then I just had to stare out the walkers who gawped in disgust at the female, running version of the Bad Santa boy.

I was hot, then cold. Left shin got a weird cramp thing after K.B but I managed to run through it. Took full water bottle (which was heavy, it must slow you down?), and some blackcurrant flavour goo which was less grim than expected and really did perk me up at 12 miles.

The stones and uneven track annoyed me. Last night's discussion about veal that lead to me declaring myself a born again vegetarian annoyed me. Walkers who can only move in rows of 5 and don't get out of the bloody way annoyed me. Mud really annoyed me. Earphones falling out of my ears annoyed me and that guy from supermarket sweep on radio 2 reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally annoyed me! Tunes from 1972 or whenever are fine, but why play his inane commentary at twice the volume? Had to switch to the only other channel i could get that wasn't pirate rap, Classic FM. I ran my last hour listening to Evensong, and it got me home which truly was a miracle so maybe there is something in it after all...

There was little joy and lots of scowling. And a tired, bored pain. But I soldiered on and that feels like a very big accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment