Wednesday 8 April 2009

Running glossary please

HB-PB (south side first), 15mins warm up, 30mins threshold run, 20mins warm down...

I am trying to follow the Taper program in Marathon Magazine.  They refer to a myriad of different running terms: 'Easy Run' (nice!), 'Short Run' (10 mins or 50 mins?), 'Long Run' (22m or 12m?), 'T R' (which could be Training, Tempo, or Threshold Run) and 'Marathon Pace' (so that's anything ranging from very slow to 40mph in an ambulance). It is all a bit of guess work.

I choose the threshold option on tonight's TR, because I know that means running on the edge of discomfort, which seems sensible to practise.

On the way back (relaxing into my 'ER' (nice!)) I noticed kids in canoes on the river. Not full-on noisy rowing that you get during the day, but slow peaceful gliding. The moon was full, it was a lovely warm evening, something about the harbour-type lights of Kew in the distance and the gentle wind evoked memories of my 13th birthday at the FBI in Mawnan. I went on an impromptu canoe trip and returned to have the pub sing to me and the landlord give me a cherry-adorned 'cocktail'. It was a nice memory and made for a very ER home.

No comments:

Post a Comment